Friday, November 30, 2007

The Long Awaited Philosophy Journal

Alright people! I'm in my Communications Technology class and my teachers is not here, so we have a substitute, and my normal teacher hasn't put up any new work to do. So, I FINALLY have time to write up my journal.

Alright, so this entry was based on a thought experiment in the book:

It's the end of the school day, and you promised your friends you would meet with them outside. But wait, to get outside, you must first get to the door. To get to the door, you must first reach a halfway point corresponding to the door. But to get to that halfway point, you must first pass through a halfway point of that, and another, and another, and another, until you have an infinite amount of halfway points, which in theory, would take an infinite amount of time to cross. But alas, you don't have an infinite amount of time, your friends are waiting for you outside, right now. If we don't have an infite amount of time which we would use to cross these halfway points, how do we get from point a to point b? Does movement even exist? If we don't move, then how do we remember getting from one place to another? Does some super being plant us with memories of a non-existing movement? If a super being is controlling our thoughts, would it want us to believe, or know about it? Or would it let me thinnk for myself, and let me come up with this thought to confuse me and lead me away from the truth? The truth that I am not in control of my own life?

Say I'm not in control of my own life, and there is no superior being telling me what to do, is this world real? Or is it maybe just some highly advanced advanced computer program made to hide the truth like in the movie the 'Matrix'? Is there an evil daemon that would be sent to kill me if I learnt the truth? Is the movie in question something created from someone 'outside' the program, trying to show us the truth?

Or is it like Plato's cave allegory? Are we stuck in this simple world, like those in the cave, unable to see past what is infront of our own two eyes? It takes something special to go beyond our beliefs, and search what the truth. Is there an invisible world beyond this material one in which we live? How come we can't see it? How come we are blind to the truth? Is it not one of our natures to ask questions and attempt to learn the truth? If that's the case, and there is a world beyond this one, why hasn't anybody found it and show it to the rest of us? Is human greed so powerful that we won't share the truth with our kin? Or is it that someone has found it, and has tried to show us, but has been locked up or disposed of? The answer to that I think, lies with the heads of authority, our government.

We all know, or at least believe that the government keeps secrets. Could it be that the thing they are hiding from us is that invisible world? Where all pain and sadness is but a memory. Are they holding back that knowledge to keep us out? To block us and keep us out of their 'gentlemans club'? I don't know for sure, but I do know it needs to be questioned, and investigated.

Now, all of these questions have no answer. The reason I'm asking them is to bring to your attention that we have no idea what the world is like. No one can know for sure, and no one will know, for a very long time.


I hope you enjoyed this, I know I loved writting it.

-Will-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O_O
that was a mind-f*ck.

Anonymous said...

Will, you of all people should know these arguments are pointless. Such as with your half way point argument, the logic behind the half way points doesnt add up, just because you have to go through an infinite amount of halfway points doesnt mean you cant still move. you just pass through them, there was never any statement saying that you could not pass through multiple halfway points at one time. Then there is your matrix arguement, id like to say that reality is what you make it, therefore if your known existence is in a machine, it is still reality to you, and that the experiences you perceive are no less real.