Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A day to laugh at

So here's the skinny.


I moved to B-ville from a french school, where my grades were borderline failing. I come to B-ville and bring my average from 54, up to a 75 in 1 semester. Holy-canoly! Impressive, isn't it? At the time, I wanted to be a computer engineer, but that dream lost it's way like many others after a while, it just so happened to be after the start of the next semester. So, I had chosen to re-take grade 10 math, but at a higher level. So, this is when I get stuck with Mr. Wright.
I'm having a lot of trouble in math, so both my dad, AND my math teacher said I should go in for extra help. So, after doing horrible on a quiz, I decide to go in. This was yesterday. Now, to go in for extra help, I have to either A: Go in during lunch, or B: go during MSIP (multi subject instructional period a.k.a. study time) So, I decide to go in for lunch. Being the lazy oaf I am, I didn't bring money or food with me, so I was running off a bowl of cheerios I had earlier that morning. Anyhow, I go in as I had planned, and I sit down and start to get some help. About 5 minutes in, I'm as lost as ever. Anyhow, so as I raise my hand to draw his attention to myself, he walks by me to go talk to another student. I figure, okay he'll help me in a second, right? Wrong. My math teacher, being the nice, kind and attentive man he is, talks to said student, for at least 30 minutes! Talking about BIKES to boot! Keep in mind, lunch is only 50 minutes. Which, when you calculate it, 30 minutes wasted by him, 5 minutes after I'm in there, leaves about 15 minutes. Now, it's getting a little late for him to help me, wouldn't you say? So, he finally sees me, even though he's been facing my direction the whole time. He comes over and says "What's up Will?" I told him my dilema, that I still didn't understand, and if he could help. So, with lunch coming to an end, he decides to fly through the explanation, and not go into detail. Now friends, I'm an intuitive man, so when something is explained to me, I need details. Unfortunately, I've been stuck with this.... how-you-say lazy, easily distracted, and most importantly, failure of a math teacher for 2 years now. Since I was in his class in grade 10, my average DROPPED, from 75 to 56. Alright, keep in mind that I was in the same grade of math, just slightly harder. But I already knew most of the stuff, so I should either keep the same grades, or improve. Not this time. But, being stubborn, I decide to take grade 11 math university level the following year (present time). And of course, Mr. Wright is there first day to dash my hopes. Now I'm not saying he's a bad math teacher, just for me, it seems like he doesn't give a shit, and could care less on whether I fail or not.

Anyhow, that's all for tonight folks. I'm off to bed!

2 comments:

Ren said...

Hrm... I liked Mr.Wright - he looks like Emilio Estevez =3

That sucks that you're having trouble, man.

I'd suggest talking to him before lunch help, like, after class one day and just lay it out for him.
Tell him what you think you need, and that "one on one" help would really be the best thing for YOU.
Tell him that you're ready to work had and learn this stuff, and so you're "communicating" (make sure you use that word lol) with him on what your expectations are and what you're willing to do.

He'll appreciate that you're "communicating" with him and he'll work with you rather than ignoring you.

Cheers man.

Anonymous said...

I had Mr Wright for math once. I took really good notes and when I got my report card I actually cried from happiness because I got a high eighties mark.
I dislike him as a teacher though. Strongly.